Eric made pulled barbecued chicken breast sandwiches last night for dinner. I've had a bad headache for over a week and he did it without me even asking him to. He hasn't always behaved as the man of my dreams, but over the last few years, he has become The One. You know the one, that one, that you used to dream of when you were 16 and thought married life would be bliss and romance but then you achieved married life and you wondered how you had been duped...? Well, I have to tell you, I've attained it. He's it. I certainly don't deserve him, in fact I'm often depressed and occasionally grumpy and even impatient with the children sometimes and I hate a dirty house which really gets my goat, but he takes it all in stride, pulls me into his arms, and tells me how beautiful I am, and then puts the kids to work... what a man.
He's a spiritual leader that can really take the heat the teenagers can dish out, too. He leads us in prayer morning and night, in scripture study, in family discussions and counsels, and is always prepared to answer the kids' hardest questions, even when they don't know they have a question to ask. I'm not gloating, but he's my guy.
How did this happen to me? If you had asked me about it five years ago my answer would have been a very different one. I believe in love. I believe love is a verb far stronger than it is a noun, and that if we really, really love - unselfishly, unconditionally, wholeheartedly - someday, somehow, that love will transform the object of our work into someone he or she can be proud of. Eric can be proud of who he is today. He has overcome his upbringing and is making a new life for his children and me. I adore that man, and I'm so grateful to have the blessing of loving him.
He's a spiritual leader that can really take the heat the teenagers can dish out, too. He leads us in prayer morning and night, in scripture study, in family discussions and counsels, and is always prepared to answer the kids' hardest questions, even when they don't know they have a question to ask. I'm not gloating, but he's my guy.
How did this happen to me? If you had asked me about it five years ago my answer would have been a very different one. I believe in love. I believe love is a verb far stronger than it is a noun, and that if we really, really love - unselfishly, unconditionally, wholeheartedly - someday, somehow, that love will transform the object of our work into someone he or she can be proud of. Eric can be proud of who he is today. He has overcome his upbringing and is making a new life for his children and me. I adore that man, and I'm so grateful to have the blessing of loving him.
You make me smile. I love you both!!!
ReplyDelete